Friday, March 26, 2010

Memory and Tests

This past week has proved very ironic to me. We start by discussing memory, and we end by taking a test, and tests are based on memory. This was actually one of the only, on second thought probably the only, test I have started to study early for. The week began with a read-through of all of the vocabulary of the new chapters. The next day was for reading over the review questions at the end of each chapter... You get the point...

While I can't say I saw a huge difference in the grade I got, I do think that this review helped me, and I would have gotten a much lower grade if I hadn't reviewed in the manner I did. This review concept is called spacing, and I definitely think I am going to utilize it in the future, as if left me not only better prepared, but it also left me more confident and less nervous about a potential GPA disaster (maybe an exaggeration, possibly...)

This past week (I think) we also discussed mnemonic devices, and then we used one that was very beneficial on this test. I think PORN rates as on of the top mnemonic devices of all times in term of memorability. Basically, the test of recognition today was a good challenge, but the test of recall on Monday will be another type of test altogether. It will test a different form of memory, but it will be another valuable experience. So everybody remember, space your studying this weekend... It will pay dividends on Monday! Bring on the challenge.

No comments:

Post a Comment