In the book or this previous section, music was discussed with the just noticeable differences. By far, the difference be tween two tones (notes) had the least difference (common ratio) in order to be noticeable. Perhaps this is why in band when we are playing many different songs, the band directors are always talking about how important intonation is. Because the just noticeable difference between two notes is so small, it is very obvious when two notes are out of tune. Also, the book also mentions how different people have different thresholds, so possibly that is why the directors can hear things that many of the students can't. Perhaps their brains have different neuron connections built up from many years of listening to music.
I found this last section about the senses pretty interesting. This is because we use our senses every day, but I never really knew how they worked. I really liked the differences between sensation and perception, as well as the Gestalt psychology information. Ironically, I just got back from my piano performance at Solo and Ensemble, and I was in an AP Psychology room. They had posters of many of the illusions and Gestalt images on the walls. I thought it was really ironic and interesting. I have always liked optical illusions (I have a few books of them) and this unit has really helped to explain many of them for me.
Wow that was scatterbrained...
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
I agree with you Patrick. Even though when I am not in band, I find it very interesting how people have the ability to have that "trained ear." I was also in that AP psychology room tonight, (Dreir, they have pics of each one of their students up) and I noticed the optical illusions poster also. Mr. Drier was right in saying that the book that we are using is the "bible" of psychology. Because many of those optical illusions were also in our book. Now when I look at other optical illusions, maybe I'll understand why things happen the way they do. Just maybe...
ReplyDelete